Saturday 6 April 2013

Sailing the High Seas

house_19930331_NZ07_008.jpg

The R. Tucker Thompson

house_19930331_NZ07_019.jpg

house_19930331_NZ07_005.jpg

I spent the whole day on the R. Tucker Thompson a schooner with a square-rigged foremast. In the summer she does day tripos in the Bay of Islands, but in the winter she does cruises through the Pacific Islands. For a price you can crw on her. Today I ran around pulling ropes as directed by the official crew and climbed up the rigging and out onto the bowsprit. At lunch we anchored in a bay and swam. We also swung from a rope on the yard-arm. All good fun on a beautiful day.

house_19930331_NZ07_006.jpg

house_19930331_NZ07_007.jpg

In the evening I played pool down the pub with a bunch of German lads. A fish and chip supper and a sleep undisturbed by mosquitoes.

house_19930331_NZ07_015.jpg

Northland East Coast

The following morning I was back on my bicycle after the short ferry trip to Pahia. The day was sunny, the road undulating, but the countryside was a bit bland. I did bump into two other cyclist though. The camp-ground at Rawene was very bleak. I was the only one there and decided I may as well stay in the bunk-room. I'm now on the west coast of the northern peninsular. The estuary here is very muddy; a complete contrast to the pristine beaches on the eastern side. At least I'm riding again.

No comments:

Post a Comment