Wednesday 17 April 2013

Rainbows and Earthquakes

house_19930331_NZ08_031.jpg

Rainbows to Gisborne

I stayed at Tokomuru Bay next, again in a backpackers by myself. The trees are beginning to yellow now for autumn. Today's ride was interspersed with showers and sunshine and `I saw several rainbows. I stopped at Tikitiki but didn't visit the famous church with Maori decorations. From the many hills I fine views of the often weirdly shaped mountains.

house_19930331_NZ08_030.jpg

house_19930331_NZ08_032.jpg

The ride down to Gisborne continued the up and down theme of the East Cape. It was clear and sunny, though slightly cold. I had lunch on the graveyard of a beach at Paranga Bay. In Gisborne itself I settle into the YHA and went to see 'Last of the Mohicans' on the largest screen in NZ. Staying in town the next day I visited museums and wandered around town. The museums were populated with people dressed in pioneer costumes. I was disappointed not to find a decent place to sample some of the local wines.

house_19930331_NZ08_033.jpg

Earthquake in Napier

From here I caught the bus to Napier (running out of time!) and spent two days there. More cinema. 'West Side Story', and an examination of the town's Art Deco buildings. I was woken by an earthquake at 7am; it measured 4.9 on the Richter scale. I hardly disturbed my Japanese room-mate. Couldn't get to the vineyards here either!

No comments:

Post a Comment